I’ve let my love for the pre-ceremony portion of the day slip before, but I’ll say it again: the early moments of a wedding day are SO fun for a photographer. As someone who likes to capture real moments and emotions, there’s no better time to do that than in the midst of all the energy, excitement, and jitters that come with preparing to walk down the aisle. Also, there’s so much happening during that short portion of the day: styling hair, putting on make-up, getting dressed, writing and reading letters to and from your soon-to-be spouse, hanging with your friends and family, staring in the mirror in complete awe–I could go on and on. All of those moments and more are represented in these photos that, for me, show how important it is to have a photographer with you as you prepare for one of the most important moments of your life.
Here are some pro tips for helping your photographer capture great “getting ready” photos:
1. Most importantly, make sure that the space in which you are getting ready–the hotel room or bridal suite–has plenty of natural light! This will make the difference between good photos and great photos. Don’t be afraid to ask the hotel for the room with the largest windows and the most light.
2. Allow at least an hour for the photographer before departing for the ceremony.
3. Have all of the bride’s details–the dress, shoes, jewelry–laid out and ready to the be photographed when the photog arrives.
4. Make sure that the bride’s make-up gets done last, allowing the photographer to catch at least part of the process.
5. Try to de-clutter the “getting ready” space as much as possible, eliminating a mess of suitcases, grocery bags, etc.
6. Surround yourself with the people that will help make you laugh; limit the people who will cause you stress.
7. Allow plenty of time. Remember, nothing goes according to schedule on the wedding day. Leaving yourself a little wiggle room will save a lot of stress.
Let’s be honest: the most interesting stuff usually happens in the bridal suite, but we’ll give the guys some love here, too.